Purpose

Our goal with this little blog/group is to watch a couple movies each month, chosen by a mutually agreed upon person. Then said group rates said movies, posts small reviews, and discussion ensues.

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Beauty and the Beast, AKA What's Wrong With Gaston?

I remember watching this Disney classic as a youth and wondering, wait, why doesn't Belle like Gaston?  He's so cool.  Gaston was slick, quick, and had a neck that was incredibly thick.  He had biceps to spare and every inch of him was covered in hair.  As a 10 year old child being hairy was kind of the penultimate proof of one's manhood.  I never really understood  Belle. It was this point from which I concluded that all Women were A: illogical and B: didn't know what they really wanted.  Fast forward 20 years and turns out I was 100% correct as a child. 

As for the film.  It's a classic.  It says so on the title.  I'm not really a mega fan of Disney musicals.  I remember enjoying them more as a child when singing silly songs made sense but I grew out of that ideology at some point.  Movies such as this are wonderful for children and I would guess for parents to an extent but as a 30-year-old childless adult, the magic of Disney definitely lost on me.  It is not however lost on my wife who in her own respect is basically a 10 year old at heart half of the time.  For her sake I smile and am grateful that someday I will have young ones who will adore singing silly songs with Mom.

I'll award BatB a fully flexed 3 hairy biceps out of 5.

3 comments:

  1. Gaston was kind of a D-bag. but you know what, hawt chicks always go for the big D-bags, don't they. yeah, i don't know what Belle's problem is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. we make fun of her because she sees inner beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think Gaston was based off Sean Connery - hairiness and all(classic dbag that women like).

    ReplyDelete